About Our cider
Crooked City Cider is Oakland's original: producing a variety of kick-ass craft ciders, currently available at select Oakland bars and restaurants and at our shared tasting room at 477 25th Street in Uptown Oakland.
Our hand crafted ciders are produced in small batches in Uptown Oakland and contain no artificial flavorings or added sugars. They are all gluten free and produced without any animal products (vegan friendly!). We start with fresh, unfiltered apple juice, pressed locally in Northern California. We were a Silver medal winner in the 2015 Mendocino Apple Show International Cider Competition.
We do not filter, add sulfites or pasteurize, providing true cider flavors and a beautiful pour. Because of our small-batch and lack of filtering/additives, our ciders are consistently changing and may at times pour cloudy. Fear not, this is natural and part of the living components of our raw cider.
If you're looking for a sessionable cider that you can drink like a beer, you've found it!
1930's Prohibition. Desperate for booze in their neck of the woods, Bushouse brothers John and Peter created a moonshine production and distribution operation for all of Southern Michigan and Northern Indiana. They were wildly successful. However, despite "beating the rap" a few times, their luck eventually wore out and they were convicted and sent to prison. This crooked history was denied by the family for years, until Crooked City Cider's founder Dana, great-niece of John and Peter, did some research and unveiled the truth.
Fast forward to today and Crooked City Cider has decided to take that family knowledge to create a similarly successful booze line ... legally!
Join us in this adventure as we move into uncharted territory producing a local craft cider that will not only blow your tastebuds out of the water, but also bring out the "crooked" in all of us.
Press about Crooked City Cider
- Berkeleyside's NOSH, "Forget beer. Try these wines and ciders that pair perfectly with hot dogs" - 7/3/2018
- Crowdfund Insider, "Wefunder Crowd Pours Funding into Oakland's Crooked City Cider" - 5/31/2018
- Oakland Magazine, "East Bay Cideries Will Shine at Cider Summit" - 3/12/2018
- Main Street Launch, "Crooked City Cider" - 1/23/2018
- Visit Oakland, "Oakland Ale Trail & Breweries | Pubs & Craft Beer in Oakland" - 12/12/2017
- Eater SF, "Local Cider Taproom Opening in Oakland" - 11/30/2017
- Hoodline, "'Crooked City Cider' To Open Jack London Square Tasting Room" - 11/29/17
- Berkeleyside's NOSH, "Bites: Les Arceaux, Michelin 2018 Guide, Halloween food events" - 10/25/2017
- East Bay Express, "Crooked City Cider to Expand with New Oakland Taphouse" - 10/24/17
- KQED Food's Taste This, "Apples + Ex Cons= Crooked City Cider in Oakland" - 10/10/2017
- McGuire Real Estate, "The 11 Best Hard Ciders Made in the Bay Area" - 9/21/2017
- KQED Food's Taste This, "Learning to Make Hard Cider in Oakland" - 9/19/2017
- Working Sunday, "A Crooked Woman on a Cider Mission" - 4/14/2017
- Berkleyside's NOSH, "Oakland Brew Update: Crooked City Cider is Growing" - 2/8/2017
- Bayarea.com, "Best Hard Cider in the Bay Area" - 8/31/2016
- Edible East Bay, "Summer Pleasures" - 5/2016
- Cidercraft, "Cider Made" - 5/20/2016
- FoodCraft Institute, "Alum of Business Planning: Crooked City CIder" - 4/14/2016
- SFWeekly, "Six Favorite Bites From the Eat Real Festival" - 9/21/2015
- Berkeleyside's NOSH, "Dana Bushouse brews unique, ‘crooked’ hard cider" - 7/30/2015